Sunday, August 1, 2010

Damn! Damn! Damn!

If there is one thing I realize in the air that surrounds me is there is a God. The all mighty has humbled me in ways that keep me faithful to his power.

I missed my Flight.

The tour at the moment is on hold until I find a way out of North America. I planned, and packed as efficiently as I humanly could while trying to wrap up my Americorps service, and upcoming position as Americorps Manager. I left Providence, RI at 5:30pm only to encounter the most stress inducing traffic only ten minutes away from making it to my parking destination to arrive on time. What was usually ten minutes became 45 minutes and not a taxi in site once I arrived. As a 26 year old man going on 27 I broke down and cried. Not only was this the biggest "what the friggity fuck" moment in my life, but it was the moment I was reminded there is a God and he wanted to teach me a lesson: Humility. Days prior to 8:50pm July 31st, 2010 I was going around parading and telling the world and it's baby cousins out the womb that I was going to Africa! I was going to be flying business class, staying at a lodge, having a show, and being that dude away America ready to spread the Telfort love to the people of Bulawayo..........................and in that I forgot to humble myself. I have always been one to mentally move ahead of myself and for everytime right before my ego orgasms something happens to me that brings me back down to earth. Some people were born to live lives where they can get excited and ride the cloud 9 train. I however was born to live a life of checks and balances. I guess it's a way of keeping me honest, and working hard.

So after arriving at my parking destination to catch a cab I am told there is no cab service........WTF............I take a deep breath and drive to the airport............I mean what's $480 worth of parking at the airport right? I can afford that right?.....................yeah...................righttttttt. I remove my belongings and struggle to carry a 6 foot concrete roll filled with heavy stretcher bars and art materials to the airtran station where I have to lug it on the elevator and then drag the rest of my luggage to terminal 4. Freaking terminal 4 takes 25 minutes to reach including waiting time. I have two muscular clean cut overtly homosexual men assist me the rest of the way to the terminal where I see every airline in the world operating, live and kicking but Virgin Airlines............it is then I was reminded again..................there is a God. If someone were to tell me every airline but the one I was traveling with was going to be open when I arrived 45 minutes before take off I would've slapped em with my soggy calussed good hand. I spend 3.5 hours on the phone between Virgin and Cheapity cheap tickets to have rudeness shoved into my rectum. I could not believe the electronic/verbal rape I encountered while dealing with British people and what appeared to sound like Indian people. I hung up and stored my paintings away in storage and too tired to even emote I stumbled to the parking lot, slowly climbed into my cold Mazda6 leather drivers seat, and calmly reclined into the early 1:30am morning of Sunday. I am thoroughly dissapointed in myself for not being on time, and humbled at the fact that no matter how emotionally compromising this situation was there is a God, and as I become the next big thing in the Art World he is going to keep me in check along the way. Thank you.



ps: hoping to leave for the 6pm flight tonight. Here's hoping

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like your trip is off to a great start! LOL! All jokes aside, I am sorry to hear about your uneventful morning, but am glad to hear that you were still able to make the trip. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proverbs 22:4 - Humility and the fear of the Lord bring wealth and honor and life.

    Oh my Eric...all things happen for a reason and we must look at the bigger picture. I know you'll have the experience of your life. Be safe, be smart and represent 305 to the fullest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a first post! I'm sure you know you cannot make it many places without struggling first. There are going to be plently more "friggity fuck" moments, but as long as you take that moment of clarity and realize where you are RIGHT NOW & how you made it there, you'll be all right. :-) ~Checks & Balances~

    ReplyDelete